Mystery solved. The file that would not DETERSE was indeed corrupt. It
had been transferred to my pc using the DownloadDirector. I used HTTPS
in yet one more trial and that file did pass muster.

Now for a little complaining:

1. It is really bad form to require the use of an undocumented utility.
2. It is worse for such a utility to end with a bad return code that is
not accompanied by an explanatory message.
3. It would be much nicer if the electronic delivery method used by
shopzSeries were the same as that used for delivery of a PTF. It would
be much better if we could FTP the files directly to our VM systems.

Regards,
Richard Schuh