Jim Elliot's licensing explanation is what we are experiencing. I
just recently documented for IBM why we wanted VM/VTAM and how we would
use it. Two years ago we were able to license this product with no
problem on IFLs at one of our other sites. There were no technical
issues running it, nor were there any issues with the rest of our admin
software such as the CA VM:MANAGER products. That project was canceled
and now we are standing up another LINUX only LPAR using IFLs.
   Like Tom Kern we use RSCS Networking to transfer data such as monitor
and accounting files to our z/OS systems. However, our other (priority)
VTAM requirement is for remote logons, as we have an agency-wide
solution for IBM 3270 mainframe systems that requires VTAM to logon to
the host.
   We are uncomfortably restricted in that the Department of Defense
(DOD) Ports and Protocols List prohibits the use of telnet (even SSL),
and port 23 is being systematically closed at all our firewalls in order
to comply with our security directives, so essentially we're left with
VTAM for remote logon access.

Regards,
Denny Burch

z/VM and z/LINUX Systems