On Monday, 04/28/2008 at 11:42 EDT, "Burch, Aubrey Dennis CIV DISA GS4B"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are uncomfortably restricted in that the Department of Defense
> (DOD) Ports and Protocols List prohibits the use of telnet (even SSL),
> and port 23 is being systematically closed at all our firewalls in order
> to comply with our security directives, so essentially we're left with
> VTAM for remote logon access.

Start the telnet server listening on port 22 (the ssh port) and configure
your (secure) telnet client to connect to it.  Et voila!  No more nasty,
smelly port 23!

Even though it's an SNA network, don't you still have the policy of
encrypting passwords over a network?  (Undoubtedly the rationale for
burying evil telnet in favor of the angelic ssh.)