> We are doing a z/VM and zLinux proof of concept and are starting
gather
> prices for presentation to management. The trial z/VM software from
IBM
> and the price quote contain RSCS and I'm trying to determine exactly
> what it is used for.
>
> >From http://www.vm.ibm.com/networking/ it is explained to be a
> networking program. It has never been enabled:
> q product
> so I'm wondering what it is really used for?

If you don't have a channel-attached printer, it's your only
IBM-recommended option for getting printed output from the VM system to
a network printer (you could still use LPSERVE, but you really, really
DON'T want to do that).

It's also your best route to move files, print and monitoring data over
to other IBM OSes like z/OS (and non-IBM systems with a little help from
us) without human intervention.

If you plan to use CSE for VM failover, you need it to move updates
between primary and satellite DIRMAINTs.

If you can afford it, RSCS is handy to have.

-- db