And ... as of this time, to the best of my knowledge, there is STILL no
way to selectively delete data from VM:Backup tapes (and... including the
VMBACKUP catalog).  VM:Archiver gets it right, but not VM:Backup.  To
circumvent that I created home-grown VMBEXIT6 which prevents general users
from being able to see specific files backed up on specific dates, but
anyone with access to VM:Backup's 191 disk (sysprogs) could change the
exit.

This has been a significant problem when foreign government agencies
require that their PII data  no long reside in the U.S. (following
implementation of the Patriot Act).  Some time ago I submitted an
enhancement request for VM:Backup to provide this capability.

To be fair, the design of any backup product SHOULD be to ensure that all
requested data is ALWAYS backed up - no matter what.  Deleting selected
backed up data (e.g. specific backed up files from specific minidisks or
SFS directories) would not be something one would normally consider when
designing a BACKUP product.  But in today's litigious society, there are
legal reasons to delete specific files after specific time periods on an
ongoing basis.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

Don Vining <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
05/06/2008 08:01 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: whitehouse email

I heard it was email that brought North down. He thought he had deleted i
but, of course, he couldn't delete it from the backup tapes created by

VMBACKUP. After this affair apparently several VMBACKUP customers request
ed
information on how to selectively delete files from backup tapes.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.