From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom Duerbusch
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:42 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DDR'ing 3390 DASD To Remote Location

It depends on your recovery window.
In the shop where we don't have disaster recovery tests, the window is
officially 3 months, but I have it down to 1 month. In the shop where we
do disaster recovery tests, the window is 3 days. IMHO, the closer you
get to a hot site (already spinning a copy of your files), the more you
need the monkey boy.  In the "days" recovery window, good instructions
are needed.  In the "month" recovery window, we can get a system
programmer consultant (to replace "me, a consultant"), that can get the
system up.

But all that depends on your recovery time frame, what you have in place
(contacts, contracts, locations, etc), and what the shop is willing to
pay for.

We are pretty much in sync in the other aspects.

I'm planning on a VM recovery system, on a single 3590 tape, with the
script to restore the system, on floppy.  That includes a small VSE
system (no VM tape management, but VSE does have Dynam, and all the rest
of the 390 backups are done within VSE), to restore each of the other
VSE systems from tape (currently 3590, soon to be TS1120).  Then, we
(may) need to do application level restores from the most current backup
available.  But that can be done via the scheduling software.

Yep, DDR is nice in that it restores the cylinders that are on that tape
without caring if the cylinders before or after are done.  Just mount
the tapes, have rexx scan the TLBL, attach the disk drive and restore
that set of cylinders.  Eventually, all cylinders that got backed up,
will be restored.  I had a similar concept back in the late 80's/early
'90s.

Thanks for the info

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Acceleration

  A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
  ready to stop.

>>> Michael Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/17/2008 12:28 PM >>>
Hi Tom,

You really should plan towards "monkey boy" as being the only resource
capable of performing the recovery.  I classify "disasters" in three
classes:

1.  Minor: This would be like a prolonged regional power failure, but
all facilities, systems and equipment are still present.

2.  Major:  This would be something involving the total loss of the
computer facility and perhaps even some staff, but at least some people
with expertise and knowledge of the business and systems are available
to participate in the recovery.  For example, a fire at the computer
facility.

3.  Total:  All facilities and staff are impacted and unavailable,
nobody has expertise and knowledge of the business and systems - this is
the "monkey boy" scenario.  An example might be a natural disaster
(hurricane, tornado, earthquake, etc.) or act of terrorism.

The recovery system is prestaged on tape, it's a small footprint z/VM
system with EVERYTHING needed to perform the recovery (it senses
available ARM libraries, networks, DASD, etc. etc.).  Restoring the
recovery system to disk and IPL'ing is the one part of the process that
is not menu driven, but it's well documented and really only involves a
few steps:

1.  Mount recovery tape.

2.  IPL DDR on the head of the recovery tape.

3.  Restore the recovery system to disk.

4.  IPL the recovery system from disk and startup the menu-based
recovery system.

The 4 steps above are the most "technical" part of the process, the
"monkey boy" simply needs to execute commands and provide responses
provided on a Recovery Worksheet completed by the host site technical
staff, so even though it is a "technical" process, it's really more a
question of following instructions (whether you understand them or not).
:)

I think we probably use around 30 or 40 full 3590 tapes, but since the
entire process is automated and you can run multiple concurrent restore
streams it becomes a moot point (basically you just tell the process how
many 3590 drives are available for your use in the available ARM's and
it will dispatch a number of dynamic DDR recovery slaves, one per tape
drive).

Years ago I wrote an automated recovery system for BellCore (the
research and development arm of the old "phone company").  Back then, it
might take 3 or 4 3480 carts to hold a single DASD spindle.  That
process was pretty elegant too, the SL on the tapes (and yes, all of my
DDR tapes use SL tapes - which of course is a challenge in and of
itself!) specified what contents were on that cartridge.  The operators
would fire up the DR Recovery process and simply start opening buckets
of tapes and stuffing them into 3480 autoloaders in any order.  The
recovery system would piece it all together, and of course had a nice
status monitor showing the progress of each spindle recovery and the
ability to quiesce/restart slaves and such.  I remember one time when we
were at Sunguard for a DR drill the z/OS guys (MVS back in those days)
were busily responding to a million human-interactive steps, locating
and mounting specific tapes, initiating jobs to read tapes/write to
DASD, etc. etc. - the VM guys were just sitting there having a coffee
and watching the automated recovery monitor, occasionally opening a
fresh tub of tapes and stuffing them into 3480 autoloaders in no
particular order.  Since we also had multiple concurrent streams going
our recovery was done painlessly and QUICKLY compared to the poor ol'
MVS guys.  :)

-Mike