On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Michael MacIsaac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What problem are you having?

I am concerned about the approach of teaching adults to "download and
just run it to see what happens"   That's one of the aspects that
distinguishes us from the folks who close their eyes and do "Next,
next, finish" and end up re-install their operating system on a
regular basis after a number of those actions.

My preference is to use a familiar tool (like VMARC) to review what's
in the archive before I unpack it. And when I forget, I can at least
use it to get a list of the files it installed and use that to manage
the package. Transfer of a file in binary is not harder than transfer
in text mode - you just have to remember doing it right in both cases.

Accidental damage during transfer of a self-expanding program is most
likely to make it fail in a visible manner. Deliberate modification of
the code would be a concern. Somehow it does not make sense to me to
ship the packaging tools with each package.

Rob (from a comfortable place at the gallery, frowning at what grew
out of the 10 lines posted a few years ago)