It is absolutely best to do this while Linux is down. If concurrency of operations is an issue, you can run the DDRs from several virtual machines.

Smith, Ann (ISD, IT) wrote:
We are going to be moving our zVM systems to new IBM dasd (DS8300).
In past dasd migrations we had used REXX execs and some assembler code to basically DDR all volumes from the old dasd to the new.

We would shutdown the system and run the DDR's from one of the other VM systems. The zOS dasd is being moved as well and TDMF is going to be used. Apparently TDMF can copy the dasd while the systems are up.

 But we were told there is no TDMF for VM.
For VM systems with linux guests it will take a while to do DDR's. We may do linux guests individually (shorter outage windows).

My question is about best practices for dasd migration for zVM systems with linux guests. My gut feeling is you still would want the linux guest down while dasd is copied. We mainly have ext3 filesystems. Is there any TDMF in the works for zVM (or some other method of copying while systems are up)? Do folks define full pack minidisks? Or is it still best to shutdown the linux servers? Looking for suggestions from others who may have gone through this process.
Ann Smith
Mainframe Systems Support -zVM and zLinux Support
Integrated Technology Delivery
IBM Global Service Integrated Operations At The Hartford
Work phone: 860-547-6110
Pager: 800-204-6367
Email: _mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
destroy all copies.

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richsmrcina

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2009 - Orlando, FL - May 15-19, 2009