From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Smith, Ann (ISD, IT)
Sent: June 20, 2008 10:40
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Moving zVM systems( with linux guests) to new dasd

We are going to be moving our zVM systems to new IBM dasd (DS8300).
In past dasd migrations we had used REXX execs and some assembler code
to basically DDR all volumes from the old dasd to the new.

We would shutdown the system and run the DDR's from one of the other VM
systems.
The zOS dasd is being moved as well and TDMF is going to be used.
Apparently TDMF can copy the dasd while the systems are up.

 But we were told there is no TDMF for VM.
For VM systems with linux guests it will take a while to do DDR's. We
may do linux guests individually (shorter outage windows).

My question is about best practices for dasd migration for zVM systems
with linux guests.
My gut feeling is you still would want the linux guest down while dasd
is copied. We mainly have ext3 filesystems.
Is there any TDMF in the works for zVM (or some other method of copying
while systems are up)?
 Do folks define full pack minidisks? Or is it still best to shutdown
the linux servers?
Looking for suggestions from others who may have gone through this
process.

Ann Smith
Mainframe Systems Support -zVM and zLinux Support
Integrated Technology Delivery
IBM Global Service Integrated Operations At The Hartford
Work phone: 860-547-6110
Pager: 800-204-6367
Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution
is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify
destroy all copies.
*

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review retransmission dissemination or other use of or taking any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  The
integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.
The sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of information provided.  The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is property of the TTC and must
not be altered or circumvented in any manner.