Nobody told why page space should not be filled too much:
CP uses block paging, that is it writes multiple pages out with one
I/O, the number of pages varies. After a while, the paging areas get
fragmented, and CP an have a hard time to find a free spot to store
the blocks of pages that it has formed, hence it can have to split up
the block.  As a result: more CPU usage and more I/O.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support