Assuming that you have free slots in the CP_Owned list.

It is documented that CP understands and will preserve that part of
cylinder 0 if a volume is allocated from 0-nnn as a PAGE or SPOL pack
and that doing so is OK. Do you know of an actual problem (in the last
15 years) caused by allocating 0 to END as PAGE or SPOL? Anecdotal
evidence does not count; neither do examples from before the time that
doing so became supported. There is probably no good reason to leave
tracks 1-15 unused on a paging or spooling volume. The only thing that
needs protecting on these volumes is cylinder 0 track 0, and a clever CP
might even be able to use part of it for these functions.

This may be a case of "best practices" being based on fairy tales,
myths, or outdated experience. Granted, for all other devices, it is
best to allocate cylinder 0 as perm. There you have a guarantee that the
volume label will get wiped out if that cylinder is included in a user
minidisk.

Regards,
Richard Schuh