Steve,

Actually, generally speaking the CA VM products do not require these
messages to function.  And, in fact it is standard practice at many
shops who run VM:Operator to do exactly this ... remove the "noise" of
ATTACH and DETACH from the operator console.

That being said, you may need these messages to trigger certain events
... for example a STK .DISMOUNT command to remove unloaded tapes from
the tape transport (but I think the messages can still be suppressed
from the operator console, you just have to be careful of the order you
do things).

That being said (again), Kris is correct that sometimes you need this
information to diagnose a problem(s).  You usually realize you really
need the information because you don't have it.

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Senior Software Engineer
Tel:  +1 703 708 3479