I think the "free" version of WS-FTP is only free for non-commercial
use.  There are plenty of freeware FTP tools for the desktop.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rich Greenberg
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 12:19 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: downloading CMS files

On: Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 06:50:36AM -0700,Wakser, David Wrote:

} If VM is running FTP, then use an FTP client (like WS-FTP). There are
} plenty available for little or nothing.

I agree about using FTP, but no need to install WS_FTP for a one time
thing.  If you are using windows, there is a built in linemode FTP
client.  Open a cmd window and say "ftp your.vm.node", sign in, mget *
exec.  Preceed the mget with a cd to the mdisk/directory if the files
are not on your A disk.  Once you get ftp open, a "help" command will
give a list of commands.  "help commandname" will give a bit more.

I don't know if there is an FTP client in macs.

On the other hand, if you are going to do a "moderate" (FSVO "moderate")
amount of FTP, WS_FTP le is free and a good choice.  More than
"moderate", spend the bux and get WS_FTP Pro.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543
1353