You can indeed resuse the old SLOT numbers, ***but*** only for the
PAGE volumes, ***never*** change the slot number of a volume used for
SPOOL.  You could have re-used SLOT numbers of PAGE volumes that were
not in use when adding the new PAGE volume.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support