Well it does say it,but I think it is wrong. I have always done a
mkinitrd and zipl so I don't know any better
Mace

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Luis La Torre
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:19 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Adding dasd to existing SUSE Linux

Patrick,

 I did not issue comands mkinitdr and zipl.

Redbook sg24-6694 page 186 section 6.1 says that  "with sles 9, you no
longer need to run the mkinitrd and zipl commands in order to configure
new
ECKD)."

But my dasd disappeared anyway.  I am still researching what else I need
do. Meanwhile I re-added the space, formated, and it shows in lsdasd.

Sincerely,

Luis  F.   La Torre
Database Administrator
BAX Global Inc.
440 Exchange,  Irvine  Ca  92602
Phone: 714-442-7441
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 Patrick

                 Spinler

                 <spinler.patr
                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]>         IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

cc
                 Sent by: The

                 IBM z/VM
Subject
                 Operating             Re: Adding dasd to existing SUSE

                 System                Linux

                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 RV.UARK.EDU>

                 07/30/2008

                 08:53 AM

                    Please

                  respond to

                 The IBM z/VM

                   Operating

                    System

                 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 RV.UARK.EDU>

You're missing the post-storage configure mkinitrd && zipl steps.

Otherwise whenever the system reboots, the kernel doesn't know about the
new devices.

- -- Pat

Luis La Torre wrote:
| I added 4  3390-3  volumes to a Linux guest, they were added to z/VM
ok and
| they are still defined there - no problems there.
|
| Then I used chccwdev to make them availbale to  Linux,   and dasdfmt,
| fsdasd, and used YaST  to config an lvm vg.
|
| Executed commands   lsdasd, pvdisplay, lvdisplay and it showed changes
were
| there, then during the maintenace window the vm and linux were
shutdown and
| brought up, and  the new dasd/lvm changes did not show anymore.
|
| What am I missing?
|
| Thanks in advance for your expert input,,
|
| Luis  F.   La Torre
| Database Administrator
| BAX Global Inc.
| 440 Exchange,  Irvine  Ca  92602
| Phone: 714-442-7441
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or
other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by
prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender and delete the
material from any computer.