On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Ian S. Worthington
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried DocBook.  In the end I just gave up and went back to Word.

The learning curve is a bit steep. I am using it now for text that is
being generated out of data on VM, and it is not harder to generate
SGML than for example HTML or DCF input.
To me the value of using SCRIPT SGML was that you don't spend too much
time on the formatting aspects, but primarily on the content. Things
like a proper ToC were trivial with that, but are way beyond my MS
Word skills it seems.
I don't think I fancy writing docbook XML in Xedit as-is, but I do
have some plumbing that takes "text with a bit of markup" (similar to
what some wiki's use) and that could generate SGML rather than HTML as
I do now... Especially if you have an open interface that allows for
portions of pure XML when you know what you want, it can actually
work.
-Rob