Terry,

LOGONBY has been around for many VM releases. We set all our service
machine accounts and important maintenance ids (MAINT, TCPMAINT, etc)
up with a LOGONBY list. Then we change those ids' passwords to
LBYONLY, which says the userid can only be logged on using LOGONBY. So
if you try and log on to MAINT directly you get told

L MAINT
HCPLGA053E MAINT not in CP directory

A scary message for the faint of heart!

Besides limiting the number of people who can access MAINT to the ones
in the LOGONBY list, MAINT never needs its password changed again, and
the auditors are appeased (a considerable benefit for those who have
to answer the questions at annual audits!).

Ron