On Monday, 09/29/2008 at 01:41 EDT, Jack Woehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Linux kernel for running on VM could be designed a little different from
Linux
> kernel for PC in order to behave better with VM.
> I'm not sure to what extent it actually is different.

This is not just a z/VM problem.  For any virtualization platform that
overcommits memory, Linux memory usage will be problematic.  I hope that,
someday, Linux will have a generalized ability to sense its surroundings
and constrain itself according to the wishes of the hypervisor.  I.e.
learn whether or not it is sharing the CPU, memory, and I/O, and know the
relative value of each.  For example, knowing that on System z, I/O is not
a Bad Thing as it is in Intel (this is what drives Linux' fanatical use of
cache - I/O is evil) would lead to different biases in the cache
management subsystem.  That bias could be further influenced by
communication between the hypervisor and Linux (similar to CMM on z/VM).