Alan Altmark wrote:
On Monday, 09/29/2008 at 01:41 EDT, Jack Woehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Linux kernel for running on VM could be designed a little different from
Linux
kernel for PC in order to behave better with VM.
I'm not sure to what extent it actually is different.

This is not just a z/VM problem.
Didn't mean to imply it was.
For any virtualization platform that overcommits memory, Linux memory usage will be problematic. I hope that, someday, Linux will have a generalized ability to sense its surroundings and constrain itself according to the wishes of the hypervisor.
It may be more pratical to modify the kernel so that it implements some of its functionality directly in terms of what the hypervisor provides rather than by assuming it controls all memory.

This is the dialectic of modern virtualization scheme ... VMWare is like z/VM, the guest
knows nothing, vs. Xen, the guest is modified to support the hypervisor.

The former is cleaner and more secure, the latter more efficient execution.

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "Self-delusion is
http://www.well.com/~jax #  half the battle!"