>>> On 9/29/2008 at  2:47 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Austin, Alyce
(CIV)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I initially said "no" to layer 2 and eventually is ask me again if I
> want to enable layer 2....

Unfortunately (or perhaps by design), the installer retries the dialog if it
cannot activate the NIC.  So, something is preventing the system from
activating the NIC.  It may very well be that the OSA is in layer 2 mode,
talking to a physical switch in layer 2 mode.  If it is, then you will need to
specify layer 2 mode to the installer dialog, and come up with an appropriate
MAC address for the NIC.  If you're still ATTACHing real devices to your guest,
I suppose the MAC would be whatever the real OSA reports for that value.

If your OSA and switch are not in layer 2 mode, then something else is wrong.
I saw that you're specifying a port name for the NIC.  Unless someone else is
already sharing that OSA and specifying a port name, don't do that.  The usual
recommendation also, is to use all upper case letters for the port name,
because that's all that z/OS can specify.  If you're trying to share the card
with a z/OS system, and you specify a lower case (or mixed case) port name,
you'll prevent the z/OS system from activating its NIC.  In general, most
people recommend that you never use port names at all.  It's not really needed,
and can lead to a lot of head scratching.

Mark Post