On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Thomas Kern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe the :TLR record could optionally include a checksum of the entire
> file. I might not want to do that for every transaction I do to build a
> VMARC file, but when I am finished and it is ready to transfer to
> someplace else, I could see doing one last transaction to checksum the
> file, put the data in the :TLR record and display the checksum for my
> paper records.

You could build also VMARC file to contain just the VMARC file (at
least logically). The client might do smoke and mirrors to hide that
detail from you. I believe VMARC also could handle a non-compressed
file.
But when we're going to tamper with the format (in a compatible way) I
would like to see an index for the VMARC (to avoid sequentially
scanning it to retrieve the individual FST's). It probably could live
at the end with a pointer from the 1st record like we have for MACLIB.
-Rob