OK, here's a summary of the replies so far and my thoughts...

phsiii replied (in part)....
-------------------
> If the site says that the VMARC is from 9/1/2007 and you have a
downloaded copy created 1/1/08, you don't need to worry (much) about
whether you have the current version.
and...

Or they could name it appropriately -- XYZ VMARC907

Reply:
Depending on the site, that could be the date the VMARC file was uploaded
there, right?  Sometime the same VMARC file is loaded to different site at
different times, perhaps an older release of the VMARC files loaded to a
new site years later.

Is XXX VMARC208 actually Feb 08, or December 08 with the leading 1
truncated from the 12?  Don't __EVEN__ suggest VMARCC08 (12=C)... I'm
trying to make things obvious for the VM newbie, not techie!  :-)

Tom posted...
--------------
>Maybe the :TLR record could optionally include a checksum of the entire
file.

Reply:
Good idea, but way more that I'm willing, capable of, or have time to do.
Then again, anyone who has a business need for that idea has the source
code, too.  :-)
"Scope creep".

Rob suggested:
-----------------
> You could build also VMARC file to contain just the VMARC file...

Reply:
Which would require VMARC to be modified to run VMARC again against the
initial VMARC file, and then UNPACK it twice when someone downloaded it to
their site.  Lots more I/O for what could be a large file to begin with,
right?  And... wouldn't that introduce an incompatibility if someone
downloaded a double-VMARCed file but only had the old VMARC MODULE? They'd
have to manually VMARC it a second time, if they knew to do it.  And if
the downloaded file had some other error (perhaps silent truncation during
download), the failure root cause becomes more involved.

> I would like to see an index for the VMARC (to avoid sequentially
scanning it to retrieve the individual FST's).

Reply:
Good idea, but way more that I'm willing, capable of, or have time to do.
Then again, anyone who has a business need for that idea has the source
code, too.  :-)
"Scope creep" - again.

Kris wrote:
>Yes, DMSPLU is nice for that (I sometimes do the same), but, as
mentioned, once you download it, that date gets wiped out, and if you then
upload to a VM system, using FTP or PCOMM, that date gets wiped out in its
turn...

Reply:
Yep, all true, and the source of this RESTDATE operand inspiration.
Everyone has DMSPLU MODULE Y2, so there's no need for modern plumbing or
the SETDATE EXEC from the IBM VM Download page.  A couple *small*,
backward and forward compatible changes to VMARC and... everything needed
to restore the FUBAR VMARC file date/time to that of the original
VMARC'ers file is in one place.

Now, barring further discussion... we'll see if I ever actually find time
for what should be a pretty trivial assembler update.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.