I'm writing articles for Bob Thomas' two publications, z/Journal and Mainframe Executive, about mainframe education. For z/Journal I'll cover the tactical "state of education union" and for Mainframe Executive I'll discuss strategic/high-level issues.

A year or so ago I wrote about education/training from IBM (Academic Initiative) and SHARE (zNextGen project), both of which are positive developments; the article is at <http://www.zjournal.com/index.cfm?section=article&aid=823>.

So --

What's new since the z/Journal article ran and what did the article miss?

What's the good and bad news about today's mainframe education?

Who's providing it? Who's best at it?

What's missing?

What works? Classroom instruction? Online training? Self-study courses? Books? User groups?

Do employers pay for it? Is it a necessity or a golden perk? Is it safe in the budget or a first thing to get whacked?

How often do employees pay?

Does it keep pace with mainframe evolution?

What's happening in local mainframe user groups?

What are noteworthy publishing resources for mainframe training/education?

Etc. -- don't be limited by these questions.

Please reply directly as well as to the list, so I see responses separate from the daily digest.

Thanks...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        [EMAIL PROTECTED]