> What's the good and bad news about today's mainframe education?

The good news is that some (eg: university) students are
hearing about mainframes, though not often in their classes.

The bad news is that most academic sites
continue to run "the cheap stuff".

People learn by doing.  Even the most bookie student
eventually has to get his hands on a computer to understand it.

> Does it keep pace with mainframe evolution?

I recently heard about a (commercial) formal course
(I would probably not say which one even if I could recall)
which was SEVERAL YEARS behind.

> What are noteworthy publishing resources for mainframe training/education?

As businesses must combine internet presence
with traditional storefront, so here the courses
(formal, informal, commercial, academic) must combine
current online content with prepared material, lecture, lab.