> What's the good and bad news about today's mainframe education?

I think the good parts are that there is more of it occurring. The
negative side is that there continues to be a great deal of confusion
(most of it generated by IBM) that mainframe = z/OS. Much, if not all,
of the "advances" in training have covered exclusively z/OS education,
not System z education.

That may change soon, but I can't say the state of real System z
education has improved much at all.

> What's missing?

z/VM education
Linux on z
TPF
VSE
Large systems engineering
Batch processing education (this seems to have completely disappeared)

> What works? Classroom instruction? Online training? Self-study
courses?
> Books? User groups?

Combinations of the above. Online only is of limited value, especially
if you don't have a lab system you can break.

> Do employers pay for it? Is it a necessity or a golden perk? Is it
safe
> in the budget or a first thing to get whacked?

If what I needed existed, I'd pay for it. User groups are generally as
effective, especially if well-organized.

> What's happening in local mainframe user groups?

Well, Hillgang does pretty well.