Tom

I can't agree with you stronger.  I never have had a problem with SFS
that was not caused by dumb stuff, backups failing etc.  And I have had
my share of CMS minidisk problems.

Thank You,
Scott R Wandschneider
Senior Systems Programmer || Infocrossing, a Wipro Company || 11707
Miracle Hills Drive, Omaha, NE 68154 || ': 402.963.8905 || ::
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  **Think Green  - Please print
responsibly**

On Behalf
> Of Tom Duerbusch
> Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:33 PM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: Reliability of SFS?
>
> I'm surprised by another discussion that seems to say that SFS is not
reliable
> or dependable.
>
> Is that true in your shop?
> How heavy of a use it it?
>
> Here, I'm the major "human" user.  The other 6 users may or may not
use it on
> any given day.
> However, I count 34, CMS type servers, that I have running, that make
use of
> SFS as part of their normal functions.  That includes PROP which logs
to a SFS
> directory 24X7.  And FAQS/PCS serves system related jobs from SFS
directories
> to the VSE machines.
>
> I have 6 storage pools.  Historically there were of a size that the
backup
> would fit on a single 3480 cart (compressed).  Now, that isn't a
requirement.

> All my VSE machines (14 currently) have their A-disk on SFS.  That
directory
> is also where all the "systems" related code is stored (IPL procs,
CICS stuff,
> Top Secret security stuff, DB2 stuff, and all vender related stuff).
No
> application related stuff to speak of.  In the 15 years, here, I've
never had
> a problem of not being able to bring up VSE due to a SFS problem.
>
> And in the last 5 years, I've never had a problem bringing up Linux
images due
> to SFS availability.
>
> I have had problems of the loss off the CMS saved segment due to a bad
VM IPL.