From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Alan Ackerman
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:25 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: I/O Overhead - z/VM versus VMWARE

I got asked:

“Does z/VM impose non-insignificant overhead?  Is it similar to VMware,=
 in
which virtual I/O imposes significant overhead, but most processor and =

memory access runs at close to native physical speed?”

I don’t know anything about VMWARE so I could not answer the question. =
know that CCW Translation in VM costs significant cycles.

I think FCP disks < dedicated DASD < fullpack minidisks < small minidisks=
.
I would HOPE that the zSeries, with so much of virtualization built into =

the hardware, would have lower costs than VMWARE, but I don’t really kn=
ow.

Any takers?

Are there any web sites that give performance comparisons VM versus VMWAR=
E?

Alan Ackerman                    =

Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com