I got asked:

“Does z/VM impose non-insignificant overhead?  Is it similar to VMware,
 in
which virtual I/O imposes significant overhead, but most processor and

memory access runs at close to native physical speed?”

I don’t know anything about VMWARE so I could not answer the question.
know that CCW Translation in VM costs significant cycles.

I think FCP disks < dedicated DASD < fullpack minidisks < small minidisks
.
I would HOPE that the zSeries, with so much of virtualization built into

the hardware, would have lower costs than VMWARE, but I don’t really kn
ow.

Any takers?

Are there any web sites that give performance comparisons VM versus VMWAR
E?

Alan Ackerman

Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com