Similar story at my former customer:
At a certain time, the VM systems got a DASD subsystem that MVS no
longer needed as it was replaced by a more modern one.  These MVS guys
wanted to see our IO responsetime, which was worse than on MVS.
Conclusion (from the MVS guys): VM isn't as good as MVS.  I had to
repeat over and over again that VM's MDC avoided the IO's that cache
best.  To my surprize: when we started sharing a DS8000 with z/OS, the
I/O response times of z/VM and z/OS became close.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support