Do you have a performance monitor that can help you narrow down if a specific VSE machine is the culprit?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello listers,

I have installed zVSE 4.1.1 und zVM 5.3 (Level 0703) at a customer where we replaced vm/vtam with an additional 4th zVSE machine with only vtam running for cross-domain between three zVSE4 systems. Before the change of the environment the customer was on zVSE 4.1.0.

The added cpu consumption of the running guests is between 40-50% but the IND LOAD and the activity on HMC shows permanently between 85 and 100% cpu usage. This creates of course massive performance problems.

I have no clue what process(es) may create this additional load. We have restarted the zVM but it didn't help. If you put e. g. a batch job on the zVSE the cpu load of the zVSE rises as expected to 30-50% and the the vm load as indicated by IND LOAD is between 85 and 100%. Except of the production VSE the load of the other machines including VM tcpip, FTPSERVE and any others can be almost neglected (in sum below 10%).
There are no error msgs from hardware which could explain such a behaviour.

For documentation I have attached the user direct entries of the vse systems, the system config, the autolog profile and the cms profile of the VSE systems.

Has anybody experienced such a behaviour of zVM and an idea where to look for the error. I know that the IND LOAD cpu value is rounded over a period of time, but I have never seen a difference greater than 5 - 10% to the added cpu% of the running systems.

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2009 - Orlando, FL - May 15-19, 2009