My guess is that this VM system is second level (probably under LPAR, but a
host VM would yield the same).
The involuntary CPU waits imposed by the first level (LPAR or CP) is not
known to IND LOAD, it is taken as busy.  If the first level host decides
your zVM gets e.g. 50% of the entire system, and this zVM want to use 50% or
more: IND LOAD will display 100% busy as the zVM never places itself in
voluntary wait.  Logically your zVM system is indeed 100% busy (it cannot
execute more instructions than it currently does); physically it gets 50%.
And, if you sum up what is used in zVM, you will get at 50% indeed.

I don't know the HMC monitor enough to know if you can see logical and
physical CPU busy for an LPAR.

When the entire system is not heavily loaded, and capping isn't turned on,
then the difference between logical and physical CPU usage is small.  Maybe
this system got a bit more load making that the involuntary waits are no
longer neglectable.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support