I can understand an interest in having an ANTI-VIRUS software package to
run
in a CMS virtual machine. We host some files for distribution via a
webserver. These files come from a variety of sources. We currently hope
that our workstation resident anti-virus software catches any bad stuff.
We
have a philosophy of defense-in-depth, meaning we check everything,
everywhere, even when the checking is redundant. Our VM system for
file-storage and web serving is the only spot where we do not have that
checking.

I would not want something like McAfee or Norton that run all the time
looking at all the files, interfering with all work. I would want somethi
ng
like CLAMAV which will scan what I want, when I want and NO MORE. I don't

need to scan the S, Y and MAINT's source code disks every minute, but I d
want to scan that work minidisk I just loaded a file to, before I copy th
files to their final destination.

A scan after each virus-signature update of all of the files that we stor
for webserving and VM's natural security preventing anonymous updates wil
satisfy auditors who really know their job.

/Tom Kern

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:33:09 -0500, Mark Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I simply can not imagine why you would need such a thing.  If you receiv
ed a
>virus in an email, assuming you receive email via VM, then the virus wou
ld
>not run. I've never heard of a virus written to execute on any zSeries O
S,