On Wednesday, 01/28/2009 at 11:27 EST, "Horlick, Michael"
<michael.horl...@cgi.com> wrote:
> I?m toying with creating a REXX EXEC which uses RXLDEV to create a
logical 3270
> session and have the EXEC basically ?press? the ENTER key say every 30
seconds.

> I?m hoping this will mimic what a real interactive CMS user is
experiencing.
> Take the time before and the time after with a ?CP Q TIME? and see how
long it
> took.

Be sensitive to the fact that as the system begins to become unresponsive,
so will your EXEC.  I.e. its ability to press the ENTER key will be
affected by a system slowdown.  Having a guest on another system do the
same thing by generating a DIAL VTAM and logging into your "system under
test" will give you a better, more realistic perception of end-user
response time.  And, presumably, you're not interested in how long it
takes to issue QUERY TIME, but in how long to do something meaningful to
your interactive CMS users (i.e. what are THEY doing?).

Gathering a body of data and correlating changes in end-user response time
to the metrics gathered and reported by z/VM performance monitoring
software would let you become self-monitoring rather than requiring a
polling app.