From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael MacIsaac
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 2:11 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Re-labeling CP-Owned volumes on a live system

Kris,

> And then, all of a sudden one of your production volumes is gone (e.g.

> someone changed its label, or it was too slow to respond during IPL)
> what causes the gold image copy to become online
I don't think so - in my scenario, all 5 of the cloned z/VM labels have
changed.

So to reiterate:
1) Install vanilla z/VM with default labels at highest addresses (no
duplicate volsers exist)
2) Shut door, get off email, get off IM :))
3) Clone to target disks (now duplicates exist - start the clock)
4) IPL new clone on target LPAR (3 minutes)
5) Run IPWIZARD on integrated 3270 console (5 minutes)
6) Get 3270 session and relabel volsers per documentation - I use sec
4.11 of the Virt'n cookbooks (15 minutes)
7) SHUTDOWN REIPL and cross fingers (no more duplicates)

So in this example the duplicate volsers exist for about 23 minutes.
Yes, something could go wrong in this timeframe, but I haven't lost
much.

Does this sound better?

> my customer's operators caused such a mess in a disaster test weekend
And looking on the bright side: this is when you really learn z/VM :))

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information
intended
for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not
the intended
recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies.
You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this
message, or
the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

TIAA-CREF