While teaching the topic of Linux cloning the class will typically ask about VM cloning. We'll then branch off onto a whole side discussion of volume naming conventions for multiple z/VM systems. It's cool when I get the opportunity to demonstrate... :)

James Stracka (DHL US) wrote:
Same with me. The IBM supplied volsers never lasted for more than the few hours doing the installs. By end of day they were VMsomething.

*From:* The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] *On Behalf Of *Mike Walter
*Sent:* Friday, January 30, 2009 8:34 AM
*To:* IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
*Subject:* Re: Re-labeling CP-Owned volumes on a live system

When? Well... I've been installing VM since VM/370 Release 5 and there was never a requirement to use ONLY the IBM supplied volsers for anything.

When I arrived at Hewitt Associates to install VM in 1984, I was told in no uncertain terms that ALL VM DASD volsers MUST be labeled beginning with "VM", as in with VMxxxx. Over time, they have relented, permitting them to begin with just "V". You just need to take extra steps during the installation process, steps which are not documented as part of that installation process. It's all part of the learning curve, and good for your career . If it was too easy, everyone would do it! ;-)

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2009 - Orlando, FL - May 15-19, 2009