You say, "They don't and they shouldn't." That is where we have a
philosophical difference. And no, I am not trying to tie them together;
they are inextricably tied together by use of the same, not a similar or
parallel, process. I realize that AUTOLOG is not LOGON followed by
DISCONNECT; however the code used to create the virtual machine is the
same except for the handling of the console. The difference is only a
very small percentage of the code executed in creating the virtual
machine.

As you say, there is no LOGONBY command. The problem is that somebody
chose arbitrarily to make LOGONBY one word while the real command is
LOGON with a parameter of BY. You do not use a command LOGONBY, you
really do enter a LOGON command. Therefore, "ACCEPT userid LOGONBY"
should be treated as a peer of "ACCEPT 1A0 LOGON" and "ACCEPT ipaddr
LOGON". If only BY had never been affixed to LOGON, there never would
have been any question and we would not be having this discussion..

Your argument is essentially saying that is how it is, so that is how it
should be. I am saying that the implementation is not the standard by
which it should be measured. Rather, it is the design. And, in this
case, the design is, in my opinion, lacking and why I say that it is
inconsistent. If LOGONBY were actually a separate command, I might be
more inclined to agree with you.

Regards,
Richard Schuh