I'm apolitical..  and not sure how politics came into it for you..  anyway:

Here's what I get:

dirm directory ?
DVHXMT1191I Your DIRECTORY request has been sent for processing.
Ready; T=0.05/0.05 21:31:55
 DVHREQ2288I Your DIRECTORY request for ROHLING at * has been accepted.
 DVHDRY3386I The following are your DIRECTORY control statements. Note
 DVHDRY3386I that the first field is the ordinal associated with each
 DVHDRY3386I statement.
 DVHDRY3386I 1 : DIRECTORY 0123 3390 540RES
 DVHREQ2289I Your DIRECTORY request for ROHLING at * has completed;
 DVHREQ2289I with RC = 0.

What userid are you doing this from, and is it fully authorized to do
DIRMAINT admin things (very much like ADMIN users in VMSECURE IIRC)?

The contents of AUTHFOR CONTROL  (VMLINK DIRMAINT 1DF and look for it)
should show you who can do what..   I know DIRMAINT doesn't work just like
VMSECURE - so it takes some adjusting.

Scott