On Wednesday, 03/25/2009 at 03:54 EDT, Dieltiens Geert
<geert.dielti...@inf.vanbreda.be> wrote:

> I made that device available to a VM in another LPAR on the same CEC,
and there
> the IPL worked.
> Our 3 LPARs share the same Escon channels to an EMC box. Each LPAR only
uses
> it's own set of DASD devices (the other devices are set offline
according to
> SYSTEM CONFIG "OFFLINE_AT_IPL").
>
> In the production LPAR I see msgs like this on the OPERATOR console:
> HCPMHT2153I DASD  B03C I/O CANCELLED DUE TO A MISSING INTERRUPT
> They started appearing since the moment that I IPL'd another VM in
another LPAR
> last weekend. I thought that maybe some devices were being used in both
LPARs,
> but I checked, and that's not the case.
>
> Maybe EMC can find out more...

I have seen odd I/O incidents (tho not on EMC) when the number of devices
defined in an I/O configuration exceeds the number supported by the
control unit.  E.g. every dasd chpid with every device on the chpid
defined to all the LPARs.  As soon as a device "beyond the limit" is used,
it pulls the device away from whoever had it first.

But working it through EMC will be good.