On Wednesday, 03/25/2009 at 12:05 EDT, Alan Ackerman
<alan.acker...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Can someone explain this restriction to me. If I have accessed a
> file mode directory, doesn't the SFS server know that?

ACCESS of a filecontrol directory doesn't really "access" anything.  CMS
reads the directory and caches the information, then closes the directory.
 That same sequence could just an app making CSL calls.  So, no, the
server doesn't know you've accessed a filecontrol directory.

ACCESS of a dircontrol directory is different since you have a consistent
(fixed) ACCESS-to-RELEASE view of the file content.  The SFS server has to
maintain a "bookmark" for you, and so must keep track of ACCESS and
RELEASE.