From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of joe.dipi...@frit.frb.org
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] VM 5.4 first/second level installation

List Members,

I can use some expert advice as a first time installer of z/VM. After
reading the Guide for Automated Installation and Service, I had decided
on using the Second-Level DVD Installation method from VM Minidisk.
Although, after making a simple calculation, I realized that it would
take me about 80 hours to upload all the DVD files to the First-Level
minidisk. Given that my 3270 emulation program (Extra) does not support
file lists, I decided to abandon this idea.

Since we do not have an FTP server attached to our VM systems I thought
that a First-Level DVD Installation from the HMC would make more sense.
My goal would be to install first-level and then test second-level. I am
not certain as to whether or not this sounds reasonable and if there is
some who would provide some guidance as to how this could be
accomplished. Pointing out a manual reference would be most helpful but
any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Joseph Di Pippo
Operating Systems Programmer III
FRIT Computing Services