On the DVD, there is a PCOM upload file that lists all files that must
be uploaded.  So, you don't have to enter all the names.  I had to use
it in Jan 2009 to install a z/VM 5.4 on a z/VM 5.1 system to which I
could not (yet) have TCP/IP access at all, just 3270 via an OSA ICC.
It did not take ages to have it uploaded.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support