Hi Steve,

You're right, z/VM is 540 level.  the DVD shipped in December.   The Z10 and
DS6000 are totally new from the factory, no other disk or hardware either.
Actually my Boss has been struggling with the IODF since late December and I
just got to touch the box myself for the first time last Thursday.  (Kind of
embarassing. Told ya the story would be interesting).

Apparently when you define a string in IODF it builds a string as type FCP.
Then it builds another string type FBASCSI which has the LUN, ..., and
references back to the same offset FCP address.  The burning question is when
you plug in addresses to initialize the sysres and such, which set do you use?
If I were doing this myself, I'd keep plugging until I found something that
works. But this machine is locked in a different computer room, I don't have
access, access time, and some other compounding limitations.  You're right, the
Install Guide is standard IBM dull but accurate.  However, the naming
conventions are a bit confusing between what IODF, INSTDVD, and the Install
manual are using (at least how I read it).  The rest of the install is very
simple.

Last, I'd LOVE to open a PMR.  But the Fine Arts folk who own this box bought
it on a shoestring (read: "No Support Contract").  We have support and IBMLINK
for z/OS and products, but not VM.  Even our contract doesn't allow us to ask
ETR questions unless we can disguise it as a problem.  That's why I went to
IBMVM as the route "of last resort".  If you can give away some Pro Bono
question time, my e-mail's below.  I see your e-mail, but I detest our users
bugging me without the courtesy of getting a Help Desk ticket first.

Thanks,

Bruce Heckler
ACT DataCenter, University of California San Diego
10280 North Torrey Pines Rd #375
La Jolla, CA
(858) 534-2152
bheck...@ucsd.edu<mailto:bheck...@ucsd.edu>