From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:15 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM and DS6000 Disks

On Tuesday, 03/31/2009 at 11:27 EDT, "Heckler, Bruce" <bheck...@ucsd.edu>
wrote:

> Apparently when you define a string in IODF it builds a string as type
FCP.
> Then it builds another string type FBASCSI which has the LUN, ..., and
> references back to the same offset FCP address.  The burning question is
when
> you plug in addresses to initialize the sysres and such, which set do
you use?
> If I were doing this myself, I'd keep plugging until I found something
that
> works. But this machine is locked in a different computer room, I don't
have
> access, access time, and some other compounding limitations.  You're
right, the
> Install Guide is standard IBM dull but accurate.  However, the naming
> conventions are a bit confusing between what IODF, INSTDVD, and the
Install
> manual are using (at least how I read it).  The rest of the install is
very
> simple.

Just so you know, z/VM doesn't know or care about the "e-debris"(usually
UNIT=) that z/OS puts in an IODF.  That "FBASCSI" thing isn't in the IOCP
manual and z/VM doesn't require it.  We simply require that you define an
FCP CHPID and some number of IODEVICEs on that chpid.

EDEVICE <edev> TYPE FBA ....  FCP_DEVICE <iodevice> ...

All installation references to a real FBA device are a reference to an
<edev>.

> Last, I'd LOVE to open a PMR.  But the Fine Arts folk who own this box
bought
> it on a shoestring (read: "No Support Contract").

Note that it also means you cannot upgrade your z/VM for free.  Any future
upgrade will require payment of the OTC fees again.