Hi,

i'm really interested in getting a deeper understanding of IBM z/VM.

I was very happy that IBM offers now a evaluation version of z/VM 5.3 to
everyone:
http://www.vm.ibm.com/eval/

I really like hercules to play around with Linux for zSeries - but is it also
allowed
to run this z/VM evaluation version on hercules ?
As i can remember, this was not allowed in the past.

>From my point of view this would be really good for z/VM because:
- everybody (i.e. students) can get a deeper experience of z/VM
- one can have full administration priviledges
  (employers/universities do typically not grant full administration
priviledges)
- one can have a portable mainframe
  (i.e. you play around with z/VM in the subway)
- a better motivation to build up z/VM knowledge, because you are
  not dependent to your employers or university hardware
- also universities which do not own a mainframe can teach mainframe knowledge
- companies test their software on the mainframe
- this emulator is available on linux and windows

How can i install the z/VM eval version on hercules?

Are there any redbooks/howtos available?
(With the 3.0.6 release, hercules supports dvd-hmc support.)

Really cool would be a set of hercules dasd-images downloadable at the IBM
website ;-)

Best regards
Marc Schöchlin