Avoid privileged instructions, such as IO and paging. Here VM's
Minidisk cache can help to avoid I/O.  You'd cache at the highest
level, that is use VSE caching as much as possible, then VM/ESA's;
you'd turn off MDC in z/VM, it is of no use to have two MDC levels.

Have you looked at a performance monitor?  Is the CPU full indeed?.
Multiple processor configs would cause higher overheads too I guess
and VSE's turbodispatcher is(was?) known not to be very performant,
but if the VSE load requires more than one CP, you have no choice.  I
guess you know it is useless to define more virtual CP's than you have
real ones available.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support