Ed (and Tom),

Well, to be honest, about a year ago I already suggested to try to
migrate into an zVM 5.x. And just before we moved the VM 2.2 I did
repeat that suggestion. But according to some it would be too much of a
risk. I guess it's a political risk, not a technical risk. And besides
that, we were given too little time to plan a test on zVM before the
move. But that's just my opinion. If it was up to me we would be on 5.4
next week.

Anyway, as far as I can see it (I don have access to the detailed
internals of the VM system) the only two risks would be ACF2 and VTUBES.
And there is some external package I can't determine what risk it would
have on zVM 5.4, I don't know if it is just CMS or that it does have
some interaction that would require some VM/ESA level instead of zVM.
ACF2 would require a new release and I don't know for sure what it would
mean for VM 5.4 and VSE 2.3, if anything. But in all cases, we could
just move the USER DIRECT into our host zVM 5.4 and try it. Perhaps we
will try this in the next month but then we do need approval of those
who are responsible for the service.

Bottom line, the move of the system supposed to be as-is to minimize
risks. For several reasons we now do not meet the requirements of the
customer. Some were more or less expected but some realy do not meet our
and their expectations.

Regards, Berry.