On Fri, 1 May 2009 13:09:38 -0400, Rich Greenberg <ric...@panix.com> wrot
e:

>On: Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:53:04AM -0500,Brian Nielsen Wrote:
>
>} In any case, cost per kwh is not relevant since the site is charging a

>} flat fee for the installed circuit, not for the amount of power drawn
>} through the circuit.

What I remember is that 3-phase current is more efficient for running mot
ors. (I used to know
why, but not any more.) I think that's why my house has 3-phase in the ba
sement to run the
washer and dryer. I never heard any reason why it would be better for run
ning a computer. (Does
a z890 include a motor?)

But what do I know? I am a programmer, not an engineer. So are most of us
 on this list. I'd
suggest you might want to ask your question somewhere that electrical eng
ineers hang out.

But if there isn't any difference in your cost, why do you care? Unless,
as Rich suggested, 3-phase
is more reliable.

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com