Lots of discussion on this..  I'm no expert, but it didn't sound
right.  I found 2 relevant articles on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase

So, your dryer, oven, etc. in a U.S. home runs on split phase power,
*not* 3 phase.  (2 phase power is not the same as split phase.)  And
your reference to "ground" should be "neutral".  The ground wire
should never carry a current - if it does, then you have a problem.
It is there for safety.  The neutral wire (I've heard it called the
"grounded conductor") can carry current for loads that require a
single phase.

I agree with what you said about 3 phase in commercial installations.

Note:  My experience is only the U.S.A. - what you say may be true for the U.K.

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support