On Tuesday, 05/05/2009 at 04:23 EDT, "Stricklin, Raymond J"
<raymond.j.strick...@boeing.com> wrote:

> It seems like I should be able to make these filepools local only, but
> the documentation is pretty unequivocal that unless the repository
> filepool names begin with VMSYS that they are to be configured as global
> pools.
>
> Is there anything that is really stopping me from changing
> the IUCV *IDENT GLOBAL to IUCV *IDENT LOCAL for the two filepools on
> these three nodes, and then moving on?

Yes.  You will cause SFS server initialization failures (message
DMS3135E).  Any filepool whose name does not begin with "VMSYS" will be a
global filepool.  If you don't authorize the server to do the thing that
it has been configured to do, it will complain and die.   By selecting a
name that doesn't begin with "VMSYS" you have instructed SFS to define the
filepool as global resource.

> I ask because I notice that VMBACKUP owns a filepool that has IUCV
> *IDENT LOCAL set, with a name that does not begin with VMSYS. I haven't
> been able yet to learn anything about this particular pool, though, or
> how it's used, so I accept that it is possible for it to have some
> operational characteristic that makes this possible, where it wouldn't
> otherwise be generally.

Whatever VMBACKUP owns, then, it isn't a filepool.  Not all resource names
(QUERY RESOURCE) are SFS filepools.