By using an entry in the SCOMDIR NAMES file, you can assign a real,
unique, filepoolid to each server, but keep the name the users are
used too.
E.g;

:nick.oldpool :tpn.uniquepool

But, it is then required that during an IPL CMS session, you use the
same name to refer to the pool, either the unique one, either the old
name.  At my customer's installation we lived like that for about 20
years: each system had an SFSnn (real poolID), but it was normally
referred to as SFSD:  No problems whatsoever.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support